Have you ever seen a restaurant fail because of a lack of standardization of operations? Or because the employees were clueless about the management and handling process of the restaurant? In such cases, the restaurant operations manual comes to the rescue.
A restaurant operation manual introduces its staff members right from the vision and concept of the restaurant to its every nook and cranny. A manual dedicated to restaurant operations covers all important areas meant for the smooth and flawless working of the restaurant.
Why does every restaurant need a restaurant operations manual?
There are countless advantages of having a restaurant operations manual. Some of the benefits of the manual include:
- It contains all the essential information and guidelines that every restaurant employee needs to know.
- It illustrates all the tasks and restaurant operations in detail. A detailed explanation can be used by beginners to tackle a problem in absence of trained and experienced employees.
- With the help of a manual, you can maintain reliability and consistency in your restaurant operations.
- A manual also helps you manage various outlets across the country and abroad and aids you in serving with consistency.
- A manual will make you aware of the restaurant’s functioning and reduce your chances of making mistakes.
- A restaurant manual clearly states the roles and responsibilities of every member which helps staff members perform their tasks efficiently without confusion.
Things To Include In A Restaurant Operations Manual
A restaurateur must ensure that everything runs smoothly and without errors. A restaurant operations manual guides your staff members when they are lost. If everybody in the restaurant follows the manual closely the task will be completed efficiently. Make sure you include the areas mentioned below for the perfect functioning of your restaurant.
1. Brief About Restaurant And Manual
Introduce your staff members to your brand’s vision and mission.
- Try to acquaint your employees with your brand values.
- Explain what you expect from the brand and the employees.
- Clarify what the manual intends to achieve and how to use it.
2. Mention Every Detail Of Food
Give details of food right from sourcing to preparation in the restaurant operations manual.
- Having laid down the step-by-step preparation process will help you maintain a consistent taste and quality.
- Implementing cross-training becomes easy when you have the ingredients and portions of food stated in the manual. When all the details about the food are there, anybody can take up the charge of cooking when the existing is not available.
- Mention where you source your supplies from. It will educate your employees about your supply chain better.
- By reading the details about the food from the manual, your front staff will also know everything about the food preparation process. It will help them communicate with the customers better.
- Take care of food safety. Mention the precaution a particular food item needs. State peculiarities a food needs while storing and cooking.
- Make sure you follow the guidelines stated by the food safety and regulatory bodies.
3. Take Care of Cleaning And Hygiene
There are many sections and equipment in a restaurant that you need to clean daily. Including a section on cleaning in the restaurant operations manual can guide you to maintain cleanliness and hygiene without missing anything.
- Prepare a daily checklist of areas and equipment that need to be cleaned. Consider preparing two separate checklists for areas and equipment.
- Timely maintenance of the restaurant and equipment improves the efficiency of the restaurant.
- Regular cleaning and maintenance will make your restaurant a good place to be and will also make your equipment last longer.
- Proper maintenance saves you from unexpected damages or malfunctions.
4. Educate Your Staff With The Latest Technology
You cannot keep away technology and artificial intelligence from your restaurant operations manual.
- Train your staff members on the latest technological advancement they need for better functioning of your restaurant.
- Include details about the essential information your employees need to know. Include how your POS system, CRM, KDS, Inventory Management Software, and other applications work.
- Give special attention to your kitchen staff. Train them to use every equipment or automation you have installed in your restaurant kitchen.
- Make sure all your staff members know at least the basic functions of every technology you are using.
5. Take Preventive Measure For Employee And Staff
This section in your manual is very crucial as when your employees know how to deal with a hazardous situation they can save many lives and resources.
- Train and educate your employees on how to deal when there is a fire in the restaurant.
- Prepare them to deal with every possible bad situation that may take place in a restaurant.
- List out all the emergency contact numbers in the manual.
- If your restaurant staff ever runs into a problem, use this guide to solve all your restaurant staff issues.
Hope this blog introduced you to the various areas you need to include in your manual. Creating a restaurant operations manual is a challenging task. But once your manual is ready, you can save up a lot on time and resources. Use this blog to create the perfect restaurant operations manual for your restaurant and take your restaurant to new heights of success.
Keep yourself updated with recent news in the Food and Beverage industry by following us on Instagram.