FSSAI stands for Food Safety and Standards Authority of India. This authority lays down rules and regulations for all restaurants across the country related to food, servicing, and hygiene standards. Post pandemic not just customers but even the food business owners have become very conscious about following all the rules laid by the FSSAI.
It doesn’t matter what restaurant type or locality your restaurant is in, you need to get a FSSAI license mandatorily. We understand that the process of getting a FSSAI License is complicated and this is why we are here to your rescue. Let’s get into the details, shall we?
What is a FSSAI Registration?
Restaurants need a FSSAI license in order to make sure that their restaurant’s food standards meets the standards set by the authority of India. It also serves as a certificate of trust for your customers that the food served is safe and consumable.
To run your restaurant business in India FSSAI license is one of the most important license needed. It a 14 digit number allotted to traders, manufacturers and restaurants.
Following are the types of FSSAI License:
- Basic Registration – This license is for small businesses with an annual turnover of less than INR 12 lakh
- State License – Any business with an annual turnover of more than INR 12 lakh but less than INR 20 crore
- Central License – This license is for businesses with an annual turnover of more than INR 20 crore or for import/export business
Documents required for FSSAI License
For basic registration
- Form B – completed and signed
- Rent agreement or any proof of possession of premises
- List of food products served
- Food safety management system plan
- Photo Identity of FBO
- Partnership Deed / Certificate of Incorporation / Articles of Association etc.
For state registration
- Signed Form B
- List of Directors/ Partners/ Proprietor with address, contact details and photo ID
- Plan of the processing unit showing the dimensions and operation-wise area allocation
- Proof of possession of premises
- Name and list of equipment and machinery used with the number and installed capacity
- List of food category served
- Partnership deed/ affidavit of proprietorship
- NOC and copy of License from the manufacturer
- Authority letter from manufacturer nominated a responsible person name and address
- Analysis report of water that is going to be used
- Food safety management system plan or certificate
- Copy of certificate obtained under the Coop Act 1861/Multi state Coop Act 2002
For central registration
Refer to this document here- Documents for central license
Steps to get your FSSAI License
- FSSAI has come up with an online application form. You can use it to check your registration status and also apply for your new registration. Go to FSSAI’s website and check your eligibility.
- Fill out the sign-up form and activate your account
- Now that you are logged in, fill out the application form. Make sure you have all the required documents.
- Submit the form and take out a print of the application submitted or save as pdf. That pdf contains a reference number on it. You will require that reference number for further tracking of your registration.
- Once you submit your application, sit back and relax. The assigned inspector will look into your application and if it gets approved your license will be issued.
- It takes up to 60 days for license to get issue from the date of submitting the form
- You can also appoint a CA/Lawyer who can file this application on behalf of you
Cost of getting a FSSAI License
Cost of FSSAI license varies depending upon the category of registration
Basic Registration – INR 100/p.a
State License – INR 2000-5000/p.a
Central License – INR 7500/p.a
Please note: CA/Lawyer charges will be additional if you appoint them to file the application for you.
Getting a FSSAI License for your restaurant business should be a priority. Hope you found this blog helpful. Let us know what kind of restaurant are you looking to set up or any further questions in the comment section below.