If you are in the restaurant business or thinking about entering it, chances are that you might have heard a lot about NRAI.
But your biggest question could be that what exactly is NRAI?
Well, we are here to explain.
NRAI is the National Restaurant Authority of India. It was established in the year 1982 by L.C. Nirula of Nirula’s, Madan Lamba of Volga , O.P. Bahl of Khyber Restaurant, R.D. Gora of Gazebo, A.S. Kamat of Kamat Restaurants & other leading restaurateurs.
It started with a few restaurateurs but is now leading an industry of around 500000+ restaurants and nearly INR 4.23 lakh crores. NRAI is regarded as the voice of India’s restaurant industry. It is the leading association for food industry in India and aspires to strengthen & promote Indian Food Service Sector. Currently, their Head Office is located at August Kranti Marg, New Delhi.
What does NRAI do?
- NRAI strives to make the Indian Restaurant Industry reach higher standards and make it more and more profitable.
- It makes sure to represent any changes in the laws governing the Indian Restaurant Industry at Centre, State and Local levels.
- It provides opportunities to educate the restaurants about various services, techniques and ongoing trends
- They make sure to give proper training to any of their restaurant members and their staff whenever required
NRAI is led by some of the biggest names in the Food Industry. All core members of NRAI also run their own food business or have many years of experience in it.
Following are some of the current NRAI members:
- President: Kabir Suri (Co-Founder & Director, Azure Hospitality)
- Vice-President: Pratik Pota (CEO, Jubilant FoodWorks Ltd (Domino’s)
- Vice-President: Sagar Daryani (CEO & Co-Founder, Wow! Momo Foods Pvt Ltd)
- Honorary Secretary: Aseem Grover (Director, Big Chill Cafe)
- Honorary Jt. Secretary: Gauri Devidayal (Co-Founder & Director, Food Matters India)
- Honorary Treasurer: Manpreet Singh (Director, KS Hotels Pvt. Ltd.)
Read more about the team here
What Licenses Are Required For Opening A Restaurant In India?
How to become a member of NRAI?
Any restaurant that holds a valid license issued by the government can become a member of NRAI. Validity of the membership is for one year. After a year, you can apply for renewal of the membership. The membership fees varies from INR 11,000 to 8,40,000 depending upon the number of outlets.
Here are the steps:
- Go to NRAI’s official website
- From the top bar, select ‘New Memberships’ > Your outlet type
- Select your city
- Read about the eligibility criteria and membership fees
- Fill out the membership form and submit the same
- The Managing Committee will look into your submitted application and grant you the membership based on your details
Initiatives by NRAI
- Amid Covid-19, restaurant industry was one of those industries that took a severe hit in terms of business. In such times, NRAI took initiatives to reach out to all the restaurants in the country and provide them safety and hygiene guidelines that needed to be followed in order to continue running their food business.
- They helped out all the registered members by relaxing certain compliance in times of Covid-19 with certain provisions of the SEBI.
- NRAI initiated a relief corpus for the well-being of all the employees that were working in any Indian restaurants amid pandemic.
- They initiated writing to letters to higher government authorities to relax curfews and guidelines in order to provide some relief to the restaurant owners.
- NRAI also initiated a vaccination drive for 20,000 restaurant industry employees across the country.
For more updates from NRAI you can subscribe to their newsletter here.