Many people have ambition to open and run a restaurant. But managing a restaurant is a demanding job. It is a high-risk business with heavy capital investment, intense competition, and constantly changing market trends. According to research, 60% of restaurants fail in the first year of operations.
If you plan to open a restaurant or have just begun with one, understanding the restaurant’s challenges can help you develop effective strategies around them.
6 Everyday Restaurant Challenges And Their Solutions
Here is a list of the top six restaurant challenges with easy solutions to build your restaurant strategy.
1. Staff Retention
Getting the right staff to fit your requirements and retaining them long-term is one of the biggest challenges a you’ll face as an owner.
- The restaurant industry has one of the highest rates of staff attrition. The COVID-19 pandemic made things worse, with mass employee resignations and restaurants shutting down as they couldn’t retain employees.
- Frequently hiring, rehiring, and training employees can cost a restaurant significantly.
Solution: Offer incentives, performance rewards, annual bonuses, time-offs, health insurance, and career development training to employees. If they feel valued and satisfied at work, they will have more reasons to stay than leave.
2. Customer Retention
Customer retention offers your business continuous revenue inflow and growth.
- Loyal customers are the lifeblood of a restaurant; they give you repeat continuous sales, honest feedback, and word-of-mouth marketing.
- Acquiring new customers and turning them into loyal ones can be a massive challenge for a restaurant, as you must nurture them carefully.
- Possible reasons for not being able to acquire, retain or lose customers could be poor quality of your service, food, wrong pricing, lack of hygiene or even inconsistency in your taste.
Solution: Run loyalty programs for your customers; they help you retain your older customers and get new customers, hold regular events, and gather customer feedback. You can also take the help of a fine CRM tool to grow your customer engagement.
3. Simple Inventory Management
In the restaurant business, you must know the pains of doing inventory.
- Careful restaurant inventory management is crucial as it helps you understand and analyze your consumption rate to improve your restaurant operations and save costs.
- As per research, up to 10% of raw-material get wasted before it reaches consumers. With efficient inventory management, you can save food and costs.
- But it takes more work! Inventory management requires cautious planning, attention and hard work.
Solution: develop a standard method, standardize your recipes, and keep your staff assignment for inventory counting consistent. Read our blog to learn effective inventory management.
4. Lack of Restaurant Marketing
With well-thought-out restaurant marketing strategies, your restaurant will stay caught up in the market and be able to boost its sales.
- Continuous customer engagement is critical to promote your brand and selling your product.
- Marketing is a common problem amongst restaurant owners, as they need to pay more attention to it. Restaurants need to invest in marketing to increase customer engagement, build a loyal customer base and boost their sales.
Solution: hold regular events & gatherings, run customer loyalty programs, go all in on social media marketing, collaborate with influencers to promote your restaurant, and adopt email and SMS marketing strategies.
5. Proper Capital and Finances Management
Opening and running a restaurant takes massive amounts of capital investment. Managing restaurant finances is another big challenge for a restaurant owner.
- Planning with your finances is critical when starting a restaurant. Experts recommend having enough money to run your business smoothly for at least a year, planning for expected expenses, and increasing costs.
- It can be challenging to generate regular cash flow initially, and restaurants need to stock inventory daily, thus needing adequate cash flow to manage daily operational costs.
Solution: Plan your finances for a year into the future. You can avail services of a professional restaurant consultant to manage it effectively.
6. Lack of Restaurant Technology
Investing in restaurant technology is the need of the hour. Stay caught up!
- Restaurants needing to keep up with changing technology and investing in their future will likely fall behind their competitors.
- Investing in restaurant technology is crucial to keep up with changing market trends and demand.
Solution: An exemplary POS system will make your entire restaurant operations smoother, from faster billing, effortless inventory management, and more effective restaurant reporting.
A restaurant owner juggles and faces multiple problems and challenges daily. The best way to move ahead is to anticipate them initially and build strategies around them. We hope this blog helps you do just that.
Follow us on Instagram and subscribe to our newsletter for regular restaurant-industry updates!